Monday, March 18, 2013

Sunday Lunch and Dinner

When I was a child, my mother fixed three meals everyday. Sometimes they were small meals, but she fixed three meals and we all sat at the table for each meal.

I'm different. 

Food is provided for three meals a day, but most days everyone is responsible for putting breakfast and lunch in their stomachs. I take care of dinner. Sometimes we sit at the table together for breakfast and lunch, but often we eat when we feel hungry...and it's not always at the same time. 

It's not very June Cleaver of me, but it's the way I roll.

So, yesterday, when everybody got home from church, people started comin' up with their lunch plans. S & H made ramen and Thai iced tea. I had leftover ful (Here's a recipe...slightly different, but similar to the one I prepared) with pita crackers. Harv decided on a grilled cheese sandwich. Not just ANY grilled cheese, though. It was a grilled cheese with an extra layer of cheese on top of the sandwich, too. 

He was very pleased with his creativity and wanted me to take a photo for the blog. (I added the parsley for some food stylin'.)

The colors are nice, huh?

For dinner last night, I had a craving for a lamb burger. I had never had a lamb burger until I had one a few years ago at Boundary Bay Brewery. It is so yummy! One of the great things about their burger is that it's served on a pretzel bun from Ralf's. One of the other wonderful things is that it's prepared simply -- lettuce, tomato, onion and a little mayo. They don't have a deep fryer so the burger can come with either a salad or some chips. I always get chips, but I have always believed that it would be delicious with sweet potato fries.

So, anyway! Last night that's what I wanted, but I didn't really want to go to Boundary Bay to eat it. So! I bought some ground lamb and made my own. Here's the thing, though. I went to the Co-Op to get some pretzel buns, but they were out. MUST HAVE LAMB BURGER ON PRETZEL BUN. 

Now, most of the world realized that yesterday was St. Patrick's day. And, evidently, all bars/pubs/etc. pretend that they're Irish on March 17th. But, I kinda forgot. I suppose especially since it fell on a Sunday and students didn't have to worry much about gettin' pinched for not wearing green.

And, like I said...I had to have some pretzel buns. So... I went to Boundary Bay to see if they'd sell me four of 'em. It was a little bit shocking to find the place unbelievably crowded. Men in kilts, lots of green, lots of green beads, wonderful music and a fair bit of beer.  But I forged ahead and found a waitress. I asked if I could just buy 4 buns "to go" and she said I could! (I think they must be more expensive that way than if I had bought them directly from Ralf's, but I NEEDED 'em.)  I'm not sure that BB would want to get into the business of selling pretzel buns "to go" so I encourage you to plan ahead and either buy from the Co-Op Tuesday - Saturday or go directly to Ralf's...fresher there anyway!

My lamb burger did not disappoint. And, I served it with sweet potato fries (did not cut my own) and a ranch dipping sauce for the fries. I LOVED it. Everybody else liked it fine. And, they even ate some fries.


I will be making this again. You can count on it!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! They also have pretzel rolls at Costco now that you might just want to try....more of a slider size, but delicious for sure:-)

    ReplyDelete