Monday, April 29, 2013

Thai Tom



Most of my friends and family know that Harvey's in the hospital. We've been in Seattle for five days so far. I've tried all the food that I want to within walking distance.

As you might guess, the cafeteria food is not anywhere near the top of any list I've ever made of delicious food. However, the hospital espresso isn't bad at all. Pretty good, actually. And, to be fair, cafeteria breakfast was just fine...but breakfast is hard to mess up, I think.

All the meals I've had outside of the hospital have been within walking distance. I've eaten a couple of meals at University Village (Elemental Pizza and Boom Noodle) and I had a couple of meals at Agua Verde Cafe. All were good...my favorite of those was Elemental Pizza, but I would happily go to all of them again.) 

Today I decided to venture a little further than walking distance for a good meal. I did a phone search and found a couple of places that piqued my curiosity, but ended up at Thai Tom (they apparently don't have a website of their own.)

When I found it, I saw that the sign said open, but it was dark and I couldn't tell much from the outside. When I opened the door -- there was a-whole-nother world inside!

The restaurant was long and narrow. It held an L-shaped counter with bar stools. Behind the counter was a stove, a table, a fridge and there must've been a dishwasher and sink that I couldn't see from where I sat. Against the other wall were four tables for two. 

The host greeted me quickly and motioned for me to sit at the counter. Being sensitive to "space issues," I asked if I could sit on the smaller end of the "L"... He said "yes" but looked as if he questioned that decision. As soon as I got there, I realized why. I could feel the flame from the stove. The cook was flingin’ pots around and pouring sauces and throwing ingredients. I moved back to the recommended spot – squished between two people.

The cook didn’t stand still even for a moment. The flames on the stove leapt left and right calming down only every-so-often. The cook's assistant did his own dance as he prepared condiments and took away dirty pots (which he passed to the dishwasher/drink-maker/refrigerator-loader/retriever)... All three people behind the counter had developed a rhythm and things were flowin’.

I had entered an entirely different universe than the one I left at the hospital. And, it was a wonderful escape. I lost myself in the mayhem and almost forgot that my husband was in the hospital.

After not-very-many-minutes, I received THE.VERY.BEST Pad Thai I have ever eaten -- not to dry, not too wet. It held within it the perfect combination of garlic, peanuts and spice. My mouth was happy.

A small crowd gathered outside the door and worked their way inside. The host fussed at them and said, "Wait outside!" When questioned, his reply was, "Get out! I will call you."

Sure enough, seats opened up and those "youngsters" found a spot at the counter or at a table. They must’ve known that the food was worth the scolding.

In the meantime, people, who I guessed to be the owners, came in with supplies. The hustle didn’t stop. Food ordering, flame hopping, people gathering continued. And, it all happened in a teeny tiny space.

When it was all over for me, I left and, as I was walking out the door, the host called in the next party. I turned to the other two people waiting outside and said, "That was fun!" They laughed. I figured they knew what I meant.

If you're ever in the U-District, FIND Thai Tom (4543 University Way). Be prepared to wait if it's "prime time." Take cash.  Savor the food. Enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment